Sunday 15 September 2013

The oddest things...

It's been lovely and sunny this week, and warm! Which has made me feel like I'm on holiday.  I only associate being warm with being on holiday.  So this week has felt very holiday like!  There is something about the smell of sun cream that is just so comforting.  It makes me relax.  I do like the sun, it makes the world a much better place!

I've also been thinking about home a lot this week. The munchkin and the ladybug both made videos for their friends at home.  It was a fun thing to do, but it got me thinking of all the people and places we left behind.  But we really are having a great time here.  We have finally persuaded the kids that it's a good idea to have separate rooms.  So we got the ladybug an IKEA (oh how I miss IKEA!) bed off Trademe (New Zealand's own eBay) and off we go! She was so excited about being a 'big girl' and choosing books and toys to go in her room it was so lovely to watch.  I was a little worried that there would be a big fuss at bedtime when she realised that she'd be on her own, but no she went straight to sleep! Success! For the first time in three and a half years the munchkin has a room to himself again and a new clock which made him super happy.  I think he's turning Kiwi already.... "it's awesome!"

UK people, enjoy your nearest IKEA! Go have a coffee (for free), pop the kids in playland (also free)and enjoy! Oh how I miss IKEA and their family friendly stores.

While shopping for the clock at the container mall (If you've not heard of the re:START mall google it, its amazing!) we stopped at a coffee shop.  I have no idea what the coffee tasted like, but the tea was good.  It was served in a cast iron teapot which oddly made me feel like I was at home even though I was sat in a container!  The teapot was very 'welsh'. I cant really describe it, but it was very homely.  All that was missing was a welsh cake or slice of bara brith and I could have been sat in St. Fagans.

It's the oddest things that remind me of home or make me feel right at home on the other side of the world.  There's also a make of coffee called Bach Espresso (bach in Welsh means little) which makes me smile every time I see it- little espresso, but I think its pronounced completely differently and has no connection with Wales at all, but it still makes me smile :)

And we have already started the Christmas countdown.  14 weeks and 2 days! It already feels odd, making Christmas things sat in the sunshine.  And I'm told the weather is only going to get better! :)
Only time will tell how I cope with a beach Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment