Monday 14 October 2013

Anzac meets Wales

Being in New Zealand, I thought I'd give a NZ recipe a go. I have a Kids in the kitchen cook book (which I think is actually from Australia, but I'll pretend it's Kiwi!) so I flicked through for a suitable recipe. Anzac Slice looked pretty good so I got the ingredients ready. Now we hit two problems. Firstly, it has coconut in it and I really don't like coconut so I just left that out, and secondly, it needs golden syrup, which I don't have, so I swapped for maple syrup. I also adjusted the quantities a little as I'm not very good at following recipes!

So really it's not a Anzac slice anymore its more of a Welsh/Canadian slice, but it's really yummy so I don't mind what it is, I'm going to eat it!!!

 
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
125g butter (I always use diary free spread in baking as I have a milk allergy)
2 tbsp. syrup (I think any will do, maple was very good!)
1 tbsp. water
½ tsp. bicarbonate of soda
 
(if you want to add the coconut its was ½ cup coconut and just do 1 cup of oats)
 
Method:
Pre heat oven to 170°C and line a brownie or flapjack tin with baking paper so that the paper sticks out on 2 sides for easy removal from the tin.
Put the butter, syrup and water in a bowl and melt in the microwave (or in a saucepan and heat on the hob). 
When all the butter is melted add the bicarb (it may fizz and bubble a little- which is normal, don't panic)
Then add the dry ingredients and mix well. 
Pop the mixture in the tin and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes. 
It should be brown on the top and firm to touch.
Cool in the tin for at least 15 minutes before you try to take it out, you don't want it to crumble when its removed.
Then slice while it's still warm, and eat! :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment